Couture Today: An Exploration
Edited by: Ann Colville Somma of Holier than Now
Couture: clothes painstakingly custom-made from the finest materials; alternatively, something Juicy – or even Filthy. It's hard not to chafe at the degradation of the term, which is technically reserved for members of the Chambre Syndicale de la Haute Couture (houses that create made-to-order pieces for private clients, amongst other criteria). Looking at creations recently sent down the runways, it's sad to think artisanal techniques like hand beading may not survive in a world of rhinestoned terry sweatsuits.
But in fact, the handmade movement is ever gaining steam with the support of many bloggers. "Couture" may be associated with impossibly high prices, but in your own hands it's an affordable way to obtain one-of-a-kind style. This week, review Couture Week round ups from The Well-Appointed Catwalk, La Chanelfile and more – then become your own private client, with tips from Fashion Butter, The Fashion Planner, and Twitch Vintage.
Links à la Mode: July 15th
- Blackdog Finds: A complete thrifted outfit for under $10
- Consumerism Killed My Soul: Color (and lack thereof) on the Valentino runway
- Dedicated Follower of Fashion: The future of fashion is here
- Dramatis Personae: TsuruBride's amazing handmade animal clutches
- Eco-Fashionista: Re-fabbing a vintage Mugler find
- Fashion Butter: The cheater's way to sew a new dress
- grechen blogs: fashion blogger bashing is everyone's favorite sport lately…why do fashion bloggers make such easy targets?
- Handmade and Fabulous: A handmade label's take on summer trends
- Holier than Now: Fans of Couture Week (wink)
- Independent Fashion Bloggers: Why Fashion Bloggers Should Invest in Problogger
- La Chanelfile: Astrology and Haute Couture
- MoMo Mod: Modest Beauty: Meet Miriam
- Stylish Distractions: 6 great reads for aspiring fashionistas
- Stylish Thought: Great tips for channeling your masculine side
- Sugar and Spice: Building a capsule wardrobe
- Sweet Fancy Treat: Wardrobe inspiration from Florence + The Machine
- The Fashion Planner: Rhinestone bracelet D.I.Y.
- The Very Subjective: The Couture Thing: fashion critics vs. couture
- The Well-Appointed Catwalk: Highlights from Couture Week
- Twitch Vintage: Can you turn a bridesmaid dress into something chic?
Thanks IFB for including us! ~ Kelsi x